I’m quite amazed (and impressed) when I think about my travels over the last 3 months or so - that is, since I finished hiking the Appalachian Trail (that was quite a bit of traveling in and of itself). For no other reason than to record it for myself so I don’t forget, because it’s funny/mind boggling to me, I’ve outlined the places I’ve been and how I’ve gotten around since finishing the AT up to now. I don’t expect anyone to follow this, unless you’ve been talking with me almost daily, because sometimes these adventures just happened spontaneously, like overnight, because my plans would change or whatever. I want to make a visual of this on a map and on a calendar, too (again, for myself, because I’m a very visual person).
I like this list because it also inspires me to keep adding to it. I mean, I figure one day I’ll probably get a job, and a place to call home for some time. And I’m looking forward to that day. But I’ve enjoyed the homeless/”funemployed”/vagrant lifestyle I’ve lived the last three months. I’ve gotten to hang out with some of my favorite friends, I’ve seen some beautiful places, I’ve gotten around on my own and with the help of some super helpful people, and been hosted by amazingly gracious friends and strangers (hence their names in bold), I haven’t paid any rent (places I’ve stayed for free also in bold), and recently I’ve actually been paid to live in some people’s really nice homes. I could go on and on about both the advantages and disadvantages - needless to say, the last few months have given me loads of perspective. But I will cut myself off from rambling further.
If you’re actually curious about any of these thoughts/adventures/places, by all means, don’t hesitate to ask, no matter who you are. Seriously. I love sharing my stories… and yes, I have a lot of them.
- end of AT: Mt. Katahdin, Baxter State Park
- hitchhiked w/Brain Damage through Maine: Millinocket → Medway → Bangor → Newport → Portland → Sunny’s house, Kittery, ME
- 3 days in Kittery
- ride from Sunny → Portsmouth, NH
- bus Portsmouth → Vanessa’s, Cambridge, MA
- 2 days in Boston/Cambridge
- Craigslist ride (ridiculous woman and dog) Boston → Alexis/Doug’s, Ithaca, NY
- 4 days in Ithaca with many friends, and my birthday :)
- bus Ithaca → my parents’ house, Conowingo, MD
- 2 days @ home
- plane Philly → LAX, Los Angeles, CA
- bus/train LAX → San Bernardino
- ride from Katie San Bernardino → Katie’s, Angelus Oaks
- 1 night @ Katie’s
- drove with Katie → Katie’s friend Rosie’s, Berkeley via Bakersfield to pick up Will
- 2 days in SF/Berkeley for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass with Katie, Will, Nancy, John, Rachel, and associated friends
- 1 night @ Katie’s friend Danny’s, Berkeley
- drove Berkeley → Katie’s, Angelus Oaks via CA Highway 1/Big Sur/San Luis Obispo
- 8 days @ Katie’s
- biked Katie’s → Catch 22’s, Whittier (~80 miles)
- 1 night @ Catch’s
- 1 night camping at Crystal Cove State Park with Catch
- ride from Catch → Ventura
- biked Ventura → Gaviota State Park, Goleta (~70 miles)
- 1 night camping @ Gaviota SP
- biked Gaviota SP → Evan’s, San Luis Obispo (~85 miles)
- 2 days in SLO with Evan, Laura, Jena, Mike, and Izzy
- Craigslist ride SLO → San Mateo
- biked San Mateo → Marin Headlands, Sausalito (~30 miles)
- 1 night camping @ Marin Headlands
- biked Marin Headlands → San Francisco via Sausalito (~18 miles)
- BART San Francisco → Rachel’s, Oakland
- 2 days in Oakland
- ride from Rachel Oakland → Yosemite National Park
- 2 days in Yosemite with Rachel, Nancy, and Lara
- ride from Lara Yosemite → Nancy’s, Sonora
- 5 days @ Nancy’s
- drove Kim from Sonora to San Francisco airport → drove back to Sonora
- 1 night @ Nancy's
- 1 day hiking Leavitt Peak with Nancy and Johnny, camped @ Buckeye Hot Spring near Bridgeport
- 1 night @ Nancy's
- picked up Kim from SFO → ride from Kim SFO → Marin Headlands, Sausalito
- 1 night camping @ Marin Headlands
- biked Marin Headlands → Pacifica via Sausalito (~30 miles)
- rescue ride from Rachel Pacifica → Oakland
- crazy midnight Craigslist ride Oakland → my ride's place (I forget her name unfortunately, but she was very kind.. and interesting), Los Angeles
- 1 night @ my ride’s
- 1 day/night in LA/@ Catch’s, Whittier
- ride from Catch’s dad Whittier → Redlands
- ride from someone who works with Katie Redlands → Katie’s, Angelus Oaks
- 2 nights @ Katie’s
- drove Angelus Oaks → Pinnacles National Park via Gaviota Hot Springs
- 1 night stealth sleeping in my car @ Pinnacles
- 1 day hiking around Pinnacles, drove Pinnacles → Half Moon Bay via Santa Cruz to hang out/ride bikes with Rachel
- 1 night stealth sleeping in my car @ Half Moon Bay
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
- drove Half Moon Bay → San Francisco to begin working as a bike courier for Postmates
- 2 nights (?) stealth sleeping in my car, SF
- ~8 nights @ Danny’s, Outer Sunset, SF
- 1 night stealth camping @ Marin Headlands with Andrew
- 1 night @ Danny’s, Outer Sunset, SF
- 5 days house/cat sitting @ Jen/Josh’s, Inner Sunset, SF
- 1 night @ Danny’s
- 28 days house/pet sitting @ Jannick/Gary’s, the Boardwalk, Larkspur, Marin County
- CURRENTLY house/dog sitting @ Claudia’s until Jan. 7 (10 days), Fairfax, Marin County
- NEXT: Good question..
Our US tour starts tonight, and we want to give away tickets to each show + signed CD copies of our new album - Fly By Wire. Here’s what you have to do.
1. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram.
2. Repost our tour flyer (THIS ONE) to your Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram.
3. When you post, use the hashtag #SSLYBYTIX and include which show you’d like to see. You must include the hashtag and your desired show!
4. We’ll pick winners at random.
Already reblogged this once, but I thought I should again because I just happen to be listening to Fly By Wire right meow! And I would totally love to see these guys in San Francisco!